1GB Kernel Memory Limit

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100480] 1GB Kernel Memory Limit
  • From: Pillsy <pillsbury at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 03:02:49 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, all,

I'm currently working on a problem that requires a whole lot of memory
to complete. Sometimes, depending on the specific parameters being
used, I will receive the dreaded, "No more memory available," message.
Doing  my best to track memory usage with MemoryInUse[], MaxMemoryUsed
[] and the Windows Task Manager, I find that the kernel quits when it
hits a limit of around one gigabyte.

I'm using Version 7.0 on 32-bit Windows XP without the /3GB switch
active; neither switching to a 64 bit OS nor activating the /3GB
switch are possibilities. However, I was under the distinct impression
that even without the /3GB switch active I should have a per-process
memory limit of 2GB, not 1GB. Is there some other reason the kernel
might quit, due to either Mathematica settings or OS settings?

As for modifying my program I've done obvious things like setting
$HistoryLength = 0, Clear[]ing things that are no longer needed, and
none of them have done the trick in all cases I've needed to deal
with. I've also done an array of not-so-obvious things that haven't
worked either.

Thanks
Pillsy