Re: Mathematica bug??

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg100589] Re: Mathematica bug??
  • From: magma <maderri2 at>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 06:18:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Jun 8, 6:42 am, Murray Eisenberg <mur... at> wrote:
> First, you should be very cautious about categorically, and so
> dramatically, entitling a post as "Mathematica bug".
> Second, such a title is so general as to be unhelpful to potential reader=

oshaughn - a relatively Mathfroup newcomer (just 5 posts so far) -
cries "Bug!" and he gets 14 (self?) reassuring replies within a few
hours, mostly from Mathgroup oldtimers.
Looks like everybody is "on hedge" here :-)
Relax, Mathematica 7.x certainly has bugs, but they probably are not so
obvious anymore and probably only concern the newest functions.
(my grand father was a great lawyer and taught me that if you sprinkle
your sentences with "probably", you never get in trouble.
- probably - never get into trouble :-)

I certainly share Murray's wise opinions expressed above.
Perhaps I would have expressed them more, shall we say, colorfully :-)

Your apologies are very appreciated.

oshaughn: if you think that "form" matters (differentiable or
otherwise) and you enjoy admiring event horizons from a safe
Mathematica shore, I would suggest you look into David Park's
Tensorial package
Put your XX century antique code to a deserved rest and enjoy:
early XXI century Mathematica code
V.6 compatible
2D output
first class support directly from David.

(OOPS...just slipped into my "marketing mode" again. I must have been
exposed to too much WRI product descriptions lately :-) )
Anyway, check it out. It's well worth its reasonable price.