Re: differentiation operator

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100663] Re: [mg100645] differentiation operator
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 17:11:10 -0400 (EDT)

I don't see why you say that the differential operator on the palette
doesn't work. If you paste it in a notebook and then fill in x and the
expression and then evaluate, it will work.

Otherwise, you could do something like:

d[x_] = Function[expr, D[expr, x]];

d[x][x^2]
2 x

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: Chee Lim Cheung [mailto:CheeLC at sp.edu.sg]

Hi All

My students have asked me whether it is possible to define the operator
df[x]/dx for differentiation rather than D[f[x],x]. The operator is
available in a palette but it does not seem to do anything other than for
display only.

Example: d/dx(x^2)=2x rather than D[x^2,x]=2x.

Am I missing something?

Thanks
Mr. Chee