Error importing Excel data into Mathematica 7

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100670] Error importing Excel data into Mathematica 7
  • From: Erin Noel <enoel2 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 17:12:28 -0400 (EDT)

I have a number of programs that were originally written in V6 that import
data from .xls files such as:

path="C:\Users\Erin\Desktop";
data=Import["datafile.xls",{"Data",1},Path->path];

This series of commands has never failed to import the data just fine into
version 6. Running the exact same code in version 7, though, results in the
following error:

Get::path: Join[C:\Users\Erin\Desktop,{C:\Documents and
Settings\JM27373\Application
Data\Mathematica\SystemFiles\Kernel\SystemResources\,C:\Documents and
Settings\JM27373\Application
Data\Mathematica\SystemFiles\Kernel\SystemResources\Windows\,C:\Documents
and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\Mathematica\SystemFiles\Kernel\SystemResources\,C:\Documents and
Settings\All Users\Application
Data\Mathematica\SystemFiles\Kernel\SystemResources\Windows\,C:\Program
Files\Wolfram
Research\Mathematica\7.0\SystemFiles\Kernel\SystemResources\,C:\Program
Files\Wolfram
Research\Mathematica\7.0\SystemFiles\Kernel\SystemResources\Windows\}] in
$Path is not a string. >>

It also states something about "Data" not being present in importing XLS
files.

For some reason it's trying to Join my specified path with 4 other
Mathematica System Files paths and then using that path to import the Excel
file.

I emailed Mathematica support about this issue and they were extremely
unhelpful...I booted up Mathematica holding Ctrl+Shft in order to reset the
preferences, put a "\" before the special characters in the path name, and
even uninstalled and reinstalled V7, but none of these things helped.

Has anyone experienced this problem? And if so, I would REALLY appreciate it
if anyone has any suggestions as to how to get the .xls file to import into
V7.

Thanks so much in advance,

Erin