Getting histogram information

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100692] Getting histogram information
  • From: Raul Martinez <raulmart at mac.com>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 07:08:35 -0400 (EDT)

All,

I have used the Histogram[] function many times. It works well and has
lots of options but seems to lack transparency.

Specifically, if I don't specify a bin width and let the function
compute it, I want to know exactly what bin width the function used.
Obviously, with some additional work I can infer the bin width from
the resulting histogram. It would be better, however, to know
precisely the bin width that the function actually used.

I consulted Wolfram support about this and they were helpful,
providing me with a bit of clever but rather obscure code that returns
the populated histogram bins. But this still requires additional work
to infer the bin width. The code provided by Wolfram support is listed
after the signature.

Can anyone figure out how to get the bin width directly from the
Histogram[] function?

Thanks in advance.

Raul Martinez

Code:

data1=RandomReal[NormalDistribution[0,1],100];

=
Reap
@Histogram[data1,Automatic,Function[{xbins,counts},Sow[counts];counts]]

h[[2]]