Re: Re: What should be a simple task....

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100689] Re: [mg100668] Re: [mg100654] What should be a simple task....
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 07:08:01 -0400 (EDT)

I think the subject of this "discussion" has been somewhat misstated
(or at least I hope so). What I am objecting to is essentially the use
of the word "should". If "should" is interpreted literally then, in my
opinion, the discussion becomes absurd. Everyone "should" use
Mathematica in the way that he or she finds most convenient and there
are almost as many different situations as there are users. As an
obvious example I will mention there is no point telling people to
"stay inside Mathematica" if they want to submit a paper to a journal
which only accepts submissions written in TeX or Word or whatever.
The other "should" (that one should use Mathematica only for
calculation) is even more absurd - there is absolutely no point
telling me that I should use Illustrator when Mathematica produces
perfectly acceptable results (and besides, I try to boycott Adobe's
products on principle, as much as possible of course...).

I think the real issue is the direction of Mathematica's development
by WRI, not how it is actually used by users, which should be up to
them (which does not mean that one should not try to inform them about
all the possibilities, which I take to be what David Park's reply is
really about). To me it seems obvious that Mathematica should be
developed as a self-contained tool for two reasons. One is that only
such a development makes possible fantastic projects such as the
Demonstrations Project and Wolfram Alpha. Both of these can exist only
thanks to this "integrated" nature of Mathematica. At this time anyway
both have no real competitors and the reason is that there is no other
tool today that can compete with Mathematica in respect of this
"integration". AES's argument has always been that Wolfram should do
basically the same thing as many other programs do, I know of at least
a dozen commercial and free programs that do rather well exactly what
he argues Mathematica should be doing. I think if AES hopes that he
can persuade Wolfram that the best way to success is becoming a part
of a crowd, I think he hasn't been paying any attention during the
last 20 years. One can say many things about Stephen Wolfram but that
he likes to be a part of a crowd is not one of them.

Of course, although I believe Mathematica should be developed exactly
the way it is now, as a basically integrated and self contained tool,
I also think that making sure that it has up to date and extensive
export abilities is essential. This obviously follows from what I
wrote at the beginning -  users should have the maximum freedom to use
Mathematica in a way that is most convenient for them.

Andrzej Kozlowski