Re: Creating Matrix from vectors specific issue.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100761] Re: [mg100745] Creating Matrix from vectors specific issue.
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 06:03:04 -0400 (EDT)

Did you look carefully at the result of the following?

   v1 = {{1},{2},{3}};
   v2 = {{4},{5},{6}};
   A = {v1,v2}

You get:

   {{{1}, {2}, {3}}, {{4}, {5}, {6}}}

What you have is a list of two 3-element lists, with each of those
individual elements itself being a 1-element list.  That is, A has
ArrayDepth of 3 (and a Depth of 4) whereas to have a list of lists that
represents a matrix, you want an ArrayDepth of 2 (and a Depth of 3).

So all you need to do to reduce your "1st case" to your "2nd case" is to
Flatten each vector:

   B = {Flatten[v1],Flatten[v2]}
{{1,2,3},{4,5,6}}

And now you have a list of two 3-element lists, where each individual
element is a number (and no longer a 1-element list holding a number).
So it can represent a matrix in the conventional meaning of the term,
and you can make what are the rows into the columns by using Transpose,
as you did in your "2nd case".

For a whole bunch of vectors of the form list v1, v2, you can Map the
function Flatten onto the whole list of vectors at once rather than
evaluating Flatten separately upon each. In the case of your two two:

   Flatten /@ {v1,v2}

I do recommend you study the Documentation Center tutorials "Lists" and
"VectorsAndMatrices".  Learning more of the fundamentals will eventually
save you a lot of time.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305