Re: Re: Re: Re: Presentation quick with

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100823] Re: [mg100794] Re: [mg100765] Re: [mg100724] Re: [mg100678] Presentation quick with
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 21:22:20 -0400 (EDT)

If menu commands worked on palettes, then there would constant confusion
when you're using the palette.  Which menu commands work on palettes and
which don't?  What if typing went to one notebook but the File->Save menu
command worked on a completely different notebooK?  Should File->Print be
allowed to print palettes...if so, how much frustration and wasted paper
would it cause, and if not, why should it be different from File->Save?
Or what if you could get yourself into a mode where typing and many
menu commands didn't work at all (i.e. because palettes aren't generally
editable)?

The current system isn't the most convenient for developers of
palettes. But it greatly reduces confusion for users of palettes, and
there are many more palette users than palette developers.

For palette users, the current system is very consistent.  The only
menu commands which work directly on palettes are geared directly toward
palettes...for example, Generate Notebook from Palette.

When I develop palettes, incidentally, I never use Generate Palette
from Selection.  CreatePalette[] returns a notebook expression which I
can operate with directly.  Since I create palettes that I might want to
be able to alter slightly in the future, it's much more reproducible to
create an entire program which, from start to finish, creates the palette
and deploys it (saving it in the process when I so wish).  This makes
it very easy to reliably make small changes without accidental fumbling
producing spoiled palettes which need to be redone.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group