Re: Plot contour regions over a globe

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg101134] Re: Plot contour regions over a globe
  • From: "Sjoerd C. de Vries" <sjoerd.c.devries at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 07:10:37 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Mike,

As aof v7 there are some useful geo coordinate conversion tools built-
in. The following code will do the trick (be prepared to wait a minute
or so):

Map[
  GeoPositionXYZ[GeoPosition[Reverse[#], "WGS84"], "WGS84"][[1]] &,
  CountryData[#, "SchematicPolygon"] & /@ CountryData["Countries"],
  {4}
  ] // Graphics3D

I don't understand your remark about plotting in 3D. Many graphics
primitives can be used for 3D plotting. Just don't forget to use
Graphics3D instead of Graphics to envelope them.

Cheers -- Sjoerd

On Jun 24, 12:32 pm, michaell1 <lo.mi... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm in need of some advice and any help would be appreciated.
>
> I'm trying to use Mathematica to plot a representation of coverage areas =
on top of a representation of a globe. But I would like to have countries o=
utlined on the sphere. I tried the new Geo plot toolbox and to show all the=
 countries uses a enormous amount of resources. This is not quite the solut=
ion I am hoping for.

> The contour regions plotted over the globe will be inputted as latitude a=
nd longitude which brings me to another missing piece of Mathematica. There=
 doesn't seem to be a tool to plot coordinates in 3D. I believe these were =
all new features in v7 so I hope for many more features to come in the futu=
re.