Re: Design choice for Printout Screen Environment

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97064] Re: Design choice for Printout Screen Environment
  • From: David Reiss <dbreiss at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 07:13:04 -0500 (EST)

I suspect not.  The only thing that I can come up with is that this
changes the default size for graphics (Plots for example) so that they
will not run off of the side of the page.  However, as a design
choice, this throws out the baby with the bath water.  The graphics do
indeed need to be rescaled to look good on a printed page; but to
change all fonts & c as well alters the expectations that 12 point
type should print as 12 point type.  Perhaps it was the only choice
that managed the variety of issues, but it's not the correct one in my
opinion so that expected document design is what the user gets.

Of course one might work in the Printing Environment, but that is not
the way most people use Mathematica...

--David