Differential equation with several variables in the function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97127] Differential equation with several variables in the function
  • From: petterbe at gmail.com
  • Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 04:23:05 -0500 (EST)

Hi,
I have a differential equation were the function F[.] depends on
several varibles,x,y,z. I would like to solve the differential
equation for the entire function. However, I only manage to get
solutions from Mathematica if I have one variable in the function. For
example DSolve[egn==0, F[x],x]. If i try to solve for my entire
function F[x+y+z] using DSolve[egn==0, F[x+y+z],x] or even just add 1
to the function (F[x+1]) I get the error message "DSolve::litarg: To
avoid possible ambiguity, the arguments of the dependent variable in
XXX should literally match the independent variables."

Does anybody have some good suggestions?
Thanks