Re: MakeBoxes on v7.0

Mariano Su=E1rez-Alvarez wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> after executing this on v7.0
>
> h /: MakeBoxes[h[i_], StandardForm] := SubscriptBox[h, MakeBoxes[i,
> StandardForm]]
>
> evaluating h[4] results not in an h with a subscript, but in Global`h
> with
> the expected subscript. Is that intentional? This code is very
> close to an example in the documentation for MakeBoxes...
>
> -- m

The correct definition is:

MakeBoxes[h[i_], StandardForm] :=
  SubscriptBox[MakeBoxes[h, StandardForm], MakeBoxes[i, StandardForm]]

I.E. you have to recursively call MakeBoxes on both the expression i and
on the head h - which needs to be converted into a string for the boxes
to work properly.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk