Re: Re: Conjecture: 2n+1= 2^i+p ; 6k-2 or 6k+2 = 3^i+p

On 4 Mar 2009, at 22:40, Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:

> On the other hand, the OP question was a bit different as he
> included the possibility of "negative prime", in other words his
> question was: is it true that for every obstinate number x one can
> find an integer n such that 2^n-x is prime. Actually, one could ask
> an even stronger question: is it true that for every odd number a
> there exists an integer n such that 2^n - a is prime? It seems very
> likely that the answer is yes, and probably the proof is easy but I
> can't spend any more time on this...

Actually, on reflection I have changed my mind. I don't think it will
be easy to prove that for every odd a there is an n such that 2^n-a is
prime. When I wrote that I expected that for every odd a there would
be infinitely many n such that 2^n -a is prime, but, of course, this
is not even known for a=1. In view of that I now tend to think the
conjecture is probably true but very hard to prove.

Andrzej Kozlowski