Re: Re: Huge memory consumption of GIF.exe

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97132] Re: [mg97090] Re: Huge memory consumption of GIF.exe
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 04:23:59 -0500 (EST)

It is, in fact, a part of Mathematica.  It's an external MathLink program (the
same kind you would generally launch with Install[]) which can very quickly
convert between Mathematica's internal raster format and the GIF format. It sits
behind the implementation of Import/Export for GIF.  There are similar binaries
for some of other formats we support, and not just for image formats.

I can't comment on this specific issue (development well out of my area) except
to say I've made sure to kick it to the right people for internal investigation.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group