Re: Style for function calls?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97196] Re: [mg97143] Style for function calls?
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 02:42:34 -0500 (EST)

It really depends on what is convenient for your own use. I don't think
there is any particular style that should be preferred to another. Postfix
and Prefix are probably the most common and I think that Infix is more
rarely used, just because it is somewhat clumsy. Also, don't forget Map
(/@), Apply (@@) and  Apply at level 1 (@@@).

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: Erik Max Francis [mailto:max at alcyone.com]

I'm fairly new to Mathematica and have a style question rather than a
functionality question.

I'm aware with the operator forms for Postfix (//), Prefix (@), and
Infix (~), and I've found the // operator useful for piping long results
through the ...Form functions, or N, or the like, as a quick
afterthought while typing a lot of stuff.

What are the analogous situations where @ or ~ are used?  Looking at
random notebooks around I've from time to time seen them used but there
doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason; it's not clear when
stylistically they'd be useful, as opposed to the // operator, which I
can see and use myself.

  San Jose, CA, USA && 37 18 N 121 57 W && AIM, Y!M erikmaxfrancis
   To understand is to forgive, even oneself.
    -- Alexander Chase