Re: Re: Mathematica 7.0.1.0 and some General Comments

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97227] Re: [mg97187] Re: Mathematica 7.0.1.0 and some General Comments
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 05:54:24 -0500 (EST)

Prof. Siegman,

I seriously doubt that you have ever seen a significant topic presented in a
completely active and dynamic Mathematica notebook. If you had, I don't see
how you could possibly confuse it with the alternatives you list below. A
comparison with PowerPoint is especially outlandish! If you are going to
compare two things then it is only fair to look at both of them.

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: AES [mailto:siegman at stanford.edu]

Unfortunately here we have to part company.  Your second sentence above
makes it seem as if you've never heard of PowerPoint -- which is very
possibly "the dominant method of publication and communication in the
technical world" today -- along with QuickTime, HTML, Flash, Word, TeX,
LaTeX, the entire Adobe product line, and the ever expanding set of
online and multimedia journals and innumerable personal and
institutional web sites, all of which, working together quite
constructively in most cases, are nearly obliterating "static printed
documents", in the technical world and everywhere else.