Re: Maintaining a Mathematica bug list

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97365] Re: Maintaining a Mathematica bug list
  • From: replicatorzed at gmail.com
  • Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 02:15:35 -0500 (EST)

Dear Group

This is indeed a very useful thought, which haunts this group for some
time now.
I agree that this is necessary, and in general everyone would benefit
from it. At least
I can not see who would not...
To support the "movement", I have one comment to one of the objections
mentioned earlier in a thread:
Someone told that it is rather cumbersome (and perhaps futile) to
filter out those bugs from a multitude
of newly reported ones which are actually already known, but with a
different name. Of course it is
possible that a new user does not realize that a bug he discoveres and
reports is actually just the higher-level
manifestation of a lower level bug, which was posted earlier. But I
myself (and I'm surely no pro) could manage
to locate and deconstruct every bug I've found throughout my years of
work with Mathematica, to correspond with those reported in this
forum, avoiding double posting, or redundant questions (except one
situation though...).

So this is obviously not a proper objection. Perhaps someone really
knows an unobjectionable objection, other than "it would be futile,
unnecessary, too hard, etc."

Istvan Zachar