MathGroup Archive 2009

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Re: General form of a summation as a function of 2 variables

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97439] Re: General form of a summation as a function of 2 variables
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 04:50:45 -0500 (EST)
  • References: <gpacu6$mtl$1@smc.vnet.net>

David Diez wrote:
> My goal is to have a general form of a summation that is a function of two variables, and would like to see if Mathematica can be used to determine the general form.
> 
> For example, with a single variable, is there a way to get Mathematica to take
> 
> sum_{k=0}^n (k/n)
> 
> and determine the general formula for the sum (as a function of 'n') is (n+1)/2?
> 
> The problem I am looking at is a bit more complicated (incorporates a five factorials) and is a function of two variables, m and n. I have never programmed in Mathematica (but do have programming experience in a few languages), and any direction on what resources or functions are appropriate for this sort of problem would be greatly appreciated. If this sort of thing can only be done in one variable, that would also be very useful since I'll just look at a particular case (when the two variables are equal: m=n).
> 

The first step is to open the documentation centre and type "sum" ... It 
certainly gives the solution much more quickly than writing to a 
moderated mailing list and waiting two days for the reply.

Sum[k/n, {k, 0, n}]

• Prev by Date: Re: Using Select
  • Next by Date: Re: Re: The "Go Back" Button doesn't work
  • Previous by thread: Re: General form of a summation as a function of 2 variables
  • Next by thread: Re: General form of a summation as a function of 2 variables