Re: opening notebooks in mathematica player instead of

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97430] Re: [mg97397] opening notebooks in mathematica player instead of
  • From: George Woodrow III <georgevw3 at mac.com>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 04:49:03 -0500 (EST)

In OS X, you can select a notebook and "get Info..." from the Finder (cmd-I).

You can then select which app opens the notebook. You can select
Player. There is an option to change all files of the same type (.nb
files) to show the same behaviour.

This should work most of the time.

If you want to open a doc with Mathematica proper, you can open it
from within Mathematica. You can also right-click -- cmd-Click and
select Mathematica from the list of choices to "open with..." This
provides you with a way to override the default behaviour. You can
even open files in BBEdit or TextEdit this way.

You may have a problem with .m files, though. Xcode uses this
extension for objective c files, and in my experience it is a crap
shoot which app opens them, regardless of the default behaviour. If
you do not have Xcode installed, there will be no problem.

So a combination of default assignment using "get Info..." and the
specific override using the contextual menus should provide you with
what you want.

george