Re: font size

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97526] Re: font size
  • From: Bob F <deepyogurt at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 18:14:41 -0500 (EST)

On Mar 14, 4:37 am, Bob F <deepyog... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Another by-product of setting this
> magnification to 150% is that some palettes may grow in size (but I
> think this is a bug) and the Documentation window will not open with a
> window wide enough to display everything so a bit of clipping on the
> left and right takes place - but you can change the width of the
> window to be able to display everything (and the height also).

Well, turns out this is a "feature" according to Wolfram tech support.
The palettes that are affected are ones that have their own percentage
magnification button in the bottom right corner of the palette. So
that means the "Classroom Assistant", "Writing Assistant", and "Basic
Math Assistant" all do grow in size as you change the magnification
parameter, but not the "Special Characters", "Chart Element Schemes",
"Color Schemes", "Basic Typesetting", "Basic Math Input" and
"Algebraic Manipulation".

The "Documentation Center" window if it is currently displayed
modifies itself to compensate for the new magnification value, in that
as the magnification global parameter goes up, the current DC window
goes down, so the net effect is nill. If you open a DC after changing
the global magnification parameter, this does not happen, but instead
the content is magnified just as all other notebook windows contents
are changed.

I still think, that the fact that a new DC window opened after the
global magnification parameter changes, and clips the content, is a
bug and not a feature, as all other notebooks adjust their content and
don't clip what they display, but again Wolfram says this is a
"feature".

So the fact that there are several inconsistent behaviors, and all of
them are features, rather escapes my sense of what Wolfram should
consider a "bug", but I suppose that is one of those "my bug is your
feature" kind of issues.

If other Mathematica users think these are bugs also, please contact
Wolfram and let them know what you think.

Perhaps we can start a thread in this newsgroup and create a list of
these bugs vs features items?

-Bob