Re: Two Notebooks Open at the Same Time

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97585] Re: Two Notebooks Open at the Same Time
  • From: dbreiss at gmail.com
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 04:24:10 -0500 (EST)

There is an alterative approach if your Mathematica license allows you
to run more than a single kernel at a time.  Most Mathematica licenses
do allow this, certainly version 7 and above since they include
parallel computing on multiple kernels.

The approach is to add another kernel name under the Kernel
configuration options (the menu item "Evaluation>KernelConfiguration
Options...").  The details are slightly difficult to describe in a
short post, but the main idea is to "Add..."  a kernel (give it a name
different from "Local".

Then, if you want to run a computation in a notebook with that
additional kernel the additional kernel under the menu option
"Evaluation>Notebook's Kernel...".

That notebook will use only that kernel while all other notebooks in
your Mathematica session will use the default kernel.

I hope this helps....

David Reiss
A WorkLife FrameWork: Extending Mathematica's Reach....
http://scientificarts.com/worklife