Mathematica Graphics - speed bottleneck

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97664] Mathematica Graphics - speed bottleneck
  • From: robert prince-wright <robertprincewright at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 04:54:02 -0500 (EST)

Mathematica 7. has lured me back into using Mathematica at work and I am wondering if it really has reached a point where it can be used to deploy applications / solutions. I had some success with one small application but found the graphics became a bottleneck which slowed to a grinding halt when applied to a real problem. Key culprits were the vector field plotting functions, and Graphics3D's ability to manipulate objects comprising hundreds of tubes. It was fine for tens but not hundreds. This led me to wonder if there are alternative approaches. I recall LiveGraphics3D but it seems to have stopped at v5. Basically I want to manipulate 3D graphics through use of DynamicModule, Sliders, etc. and see the changes in realtime (as opposed to geological time!)

Any thoughts?