Output from a Dynamic Module

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97748] Output from a Dynamic Module
  • From: Hugh Goyder <h.g.d.goyder at cranfield.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 02:41:18 -0500 (EST)

In the toy example below I have a dynamic module where I adjust
Locator points to form a curve. When I have got a  nice set of points
I would like to output them so that they can be used in other
calculations. I have provided a button to do this but can't see the
best way forward. Normally the output from a module is the last line
but here this is not possible. I give a bad method by using a
temporary file but what other methods are there? (And why does the
temporary file I import get up-dated even when I don't press the
button?)
Thanks
Hugh Goyder

DynamicModule[{pts},
 pts = {{0, 0}, {1, 0}, {2, 0}, {3, 0}};
 Column[{
   Button["Assign points", Export["temp", Dynamic[pts], "List"]],
   LocatorPane[Dynamic[pts],
    Dynamic[
     Plot[Interpolation[pts][x], {x, 0, 3}, Frame -> True,
      Axes -> False, PlotRange -> {All, {-1, 1}}, ImageSize -> 7 72]]
    ]
   }]
 ]

pp = Import["temp"]