Re: Compress timing with different data types

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97792] Re: Compress timing with different data types
  • From: Yves Klett <yves.klett at googlemail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 05:45:10 -0500 (EST)

Rob,

> Additionally, out of curiosity, what use do you have for Compress/
> Uncompress?  This feature is used by the Mathematica front end when
> saving notebook files with containing certain large expressions.  It
> looks like file I/O is significantly faster at the expense of not
> being hand editable:

That was just my reason to use compress. For documentation purposes, I
need to save a lot of large expressions. Those sometimes take a long
time to Export (or Put) and I thought I could speed up the writing
process by compressing the expression first.

The compression part is fine and can also be modified so as to make
compression transparent to Get[], but no time is gained because
compression takes so long.

DumpSave is no alternative because it is dependent on version and
operating system.

So apart from the question why Compress behaves as it does the real goal
is to store large Mathematica expressions efficiently and in a
retrievable fashion (from that point of view, Compress is suboptimal
because you need Mathematica to Uncompress).

Any suggestions? Any experiences with the "WDX" format or zipped exporting?

Regards,
Yves