Re: utterly confused by Lightweight Grid

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg97921] Re: utterly confused by Lightweight Grid
  • From: Vince <blueschi at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 05:47:17 -0500 (EST)

On Mar 24, 6:31 am, j... at wolfram.co.uk wrote:
> On Mar 21, 10:17 am, "Sjoerd C. de Vries" <sjoerd.c.devr... at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > Hi all,
>
> > I read the announcement about the new gridMathematica stuff. As a
> > premier licensee I got to download the Lightweight Grid Manager for
> > free.  Cool! The documentation and the announcement were a bit
> > confusing as to what precisely I could do with it, but it seemed that
> > I would be able to run parallel calculations on my computers running
> > v7. So, I downloaded a PC and mac version of the Lightweight Grid
> > Manager and installed it on a mac and two PCs. One PC and the mac are
> > laptops which connect by WLAN, the other PC is wired into the LAN.
>
> > Using the web browser interface I could interact with all three
> > machines. So, networking seemed to be OK. The PCs can share files and
> > ping ok. Lightweight Grid is enabled. In Mathematica's Parallel kernel
> > configuration I can see two of the three servers, one PC and one mac.
> > The other PC remains hidden even after switching off all firewalls.
> > And again, the web interface runs fine, therefore I don't think that
> > was a factor after all.
>
> > I did not suceeded in launching any remote kernel. ParallelEvaluate
> > [$MachineName] returns {}.
>
> > Anyone else done some testing? Is my interpretation of Lightweight
> > Grid Manager's functionality mistaken and do I need some additional
> > stuff like the Grid server?
>
> > Cheers -- Sjoerd
>
> Wolfram Lightweight Grid provides a mechanism for broadcasting the
> availability of a computer, and managing remote launching and
> connection of available Mathematica Kernels. But it does not, itself,
> include any additional Mathematica licenses.
>
> If you have a network license of Mathematica available to you,
> configure those Wolfram Lightweight Grid installations to request
> licenses from your existing MathLM server.
>
> If you do not have any available Mathematica licenses to run on those
> machines, you will need to purchase some. Either a regular Mathematica
> network license, or gridMathematica Server, depending on whether you
> want them to also work standalone or just want them for parallel
> computations.
>
> Jon McLoone- Hide quoted text -

Licenses aside, three related questions:

1. Does Wolfram Lightweight Grid contain a copy of Mathematica 7.0.1?
2. If so, is that the media it uses to provide a "computation" kernel?
3. If so, can this be incompatible with a master kernel and/or other
computation kernels at version 7.0.0?

Thank you,

Vince Virgilio