Image Processing & 3D Graphics Question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98096] Image Processing & 3D Graphics Question
  • From: TerryH <tlharter at verizon.net>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 04:42:24 -0500 (EST)

Hi Group:
   I have an image that I can Import into Mathematica Ver 7.0.0 as either
a "*.gif" file or a "*.bmp" file.  That is no problem.  The image is
circular in nature.
   Now what I want to do is to place this image on one side of a short
cylinder that I've created that is a 3D graphics object and be able to
rotate both together much like you would do with any 3D graphics object.

   An illustration of the final result would be to take a coin of some
thickness, say a quarter, and be able to tilt the coin so that the tip
of Washington's head would be furthest away from the viewpoint and yhe
year closest to the viewpoint with the coin's edge showing.  So it
sounds like the first thing to do is to convert imported image into a 3D
Graphics object, but I don't know how to do this (or even if it can be
done from within Mathematica). Can the image be digitized and then
displayed somehow in 3D?  So does anybody have any ideas as to how to
proceed?
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.  TIA
.....Terry