Integrating package documentation with the documentation center

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg98109] Integrating package documentation with the documentation center
  • From: David Bailey <dave at removedbailey.co.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 05:05:53 -0500 (EST)

Although the documentation center (DC) came with version 6.0, there is
(to my knowledge) still no published method for fully integrating
package documentation with this system (at least not without using the
Wolfram Workbench).

As part of work on my new DebugTrace package, I believe I have uncovered
the interface mechanism - using commands from the undocumented
DocumentationSearch` (!!) context. Using these commands, it is possible
to create documentation which pops up when F1 is pressed inside one of
your exported symbols, and which appears in searches done within the DC.

I am not entirely sure if this information is publicly available
elsewhere, but if it is not, I am happy to write it up and make it
available to everyone. Please tell me if the knowledge is already available.

Needless to say, the information will be "at your own risk", and may
well not expose all available functionality. Since the relevant
functions are not within a private package, I assume WRI meant this to
be a public interface!

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk