Re: Wolfram|Alpha Lookup Tool for Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg99863] Re: [mg99850] Wolfram|Alpha Lookup Tool for Mathematica
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at>
  • Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 18:24:49 -0400 (EDT)

Alas, the tool may be of limited value right now, because Wolfram|Alpha
is overloaded to the point of barely working.  That's on a Saturday
morning about 10:20 a.m. EDT.

Even when I browsed directly to, it took several
minutes for the home page to load.  Then, when I typed in a query (my
birthdate), I got back a message:

   "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that...
    Wolfram|Alpha has temporarily exceeded its
    current maximum test load.
    See the live video feed of the Control Center>>"

Several minutes later, I tried again. I got a report back almost
immediately giving the Input interpretation and showing a date format,
but below that just 6 progress bars that kept running for several
minutes until I gave up.

Next, I typed in one of the suggested math formulas: x^2 sin(x). I got
back information about that -- graphs, an alternate form using complex
exponentials, roots, series expansion, ..., almost immediately!  (But
perhaps that one was already cached on the site?)

David Reiss wrote:
> With the release of Wolfram|Alpha I have created a small tool that
> allows you to send a query to Wolfram|Alpha directly from Mathematica.
> The tool is a simple dialog with an input field where you can type a
> query to be sent to Wolfram|Alpha.
> After entering your query in the input field simply click on the
> "Wolfram|Alpha Lookup" button and the query will be sent to Wolfram|
> Alpha via your default web browser.
> You can download the tool from here:
> or here:
> Enjoy!