"SelectionData" and palettes

With[ {p = ToExpression[CurrentValue[InputNotebook[],
"SelectionData"]]},
 PresentTmpls[p]

I found a similar code fragment on MathGroup. I wanted to use it in my
palette. However, once the palette is standalone it fails to work;
otherwise within a current session of a notebook it works fine. Is
there a more stable way to grab a text selection so it can be used for
further use in code? Thanks.

Andrew