Testing a heavy graphics

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100099] Testing a heavy graphics
  • From: "E. Martin-Serrano" <eMartinSerrano at telefonica.net>
  • Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 06:33:49 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I have written a, still half cooked, compound piece of 3D graphics which
does not perform as I whished. It does not rotate, pan or zoom reasonably
fast, probably due to the low power of my computer: 3.4 GH Pentium 4 - 1Gb
RAM =96 NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 8X with 128 Mb DDR video memory & Windows XP
SP3. (It is about 6 years old but always worked fine for me, except in case
like this with elaborated 3D (contour) graphics). With this machine, I
usually confront nearly the same difficulties when trying a *Show* or
*Manipulate* statement over a given threshold (not very high) of pieces of
3D graphics to mix.

This still half cooked graphics that I have written takes some time to
re-render as I play with the checks buttons to modify the graphics
configuration; and it moves pretty sluggishly through discrete jumps when
rotating, dragging, zooming and panning. Maybe it would perform much better
if I had a more powerful computer such as a new four-nucleus processor and
some 4 Gb RAM and better graphics card. Maybe I had to rewrite the code.

Besides, the graphics has been written with the David Park Presentations
graphics package, which allows me to develop tricky of graphics with
comparatively little effort and makes a lot easier to move incrementally
towards more and more sophisticated pieces of graphics.

Now, I am looking for someone who is using Presentations on a powerful
computer under Windows XP/Vista to test weather my  graphics could perform
smoothly and fast as, say, a typical Plot3D[Sin[x]*Cos[x]],{x,-Pi,Pi}] does.
(??)

If anyone wanted to help me making the test, please provide me with an email
address where to send the notebook with my additional remarks.

Best regards

E. Martin-Serrano

will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.

Este mensaje y los ficheros adjuntos pueden contener informacion
confidencial
destinada solamente a la(s) persona(s) mencionadas anteriormente
pueden estar protegidos por secreto profesional.
Si usted recibe este correo electronico por error, gracias por informar
inmediatamente al remitente y destruir el mensaje.
Al no estar asegurada la integridad de este mensaje sobre la red, E.
Mart=EDn-Serrano no se hace responsable por su contenido. Su contenido no
constituye ningun
compromiso para el remitente, salvo ratificacion escrita por ambas partes.
Aunque se esfuerza al maximo por mantener su red libre de virus, el emisor
no puede garantizar nada al respecto y no sera responsable de cualesquiera
da=F1os que puedan resultar de una transmision de virus.