Re: ColorFunction on a linux system (xorg) loses graphics

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100095] Re: ColorFunction on a linux system (xorg) loses graphics
  • From: tom.kalvoda at gmail.com
  • Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 06:33:06 -0400 (EDT)

Dear all,

I had the same problem (running on Archlinux with Intel graphics).
Consulting my good friend google I found this discussion:

the trick that helped me is to add

    Option "AccelMethod" "uxa"

into the Device section of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Now I cen see the
output of Plot3D and also output of Curtis's example (which I did not
get prior the edit of xorg.conf). On the other hand, the rotation of
3D graphic in Mathematica works strange now - but this does not
trouble me much.

To conclude, it seems to me like problem with new x.org server (guys
in the discussion above have ATI graphic cards, so I guess it is not a
driver problem...). Looks like we have to wait for new version of
Mathematica...

On May 12, 9:08 am, Curtis Osterhoudt <c... at lanl.gov> wrote:
> Hi, Peter.
>
>    Thanks for that reply. I somehow didn't think to try the XLIB flag=
 again, as I thought that issue had been fixed in the later Mathematica bui=
lds (used to use it all the time). In any case, it doesn't seem to work for=
 me (3D plots still disappear except upon rotation, and ColorFunctions stil=
l cause blank output). As you say, it might be the opensource driver. AMD/A=
TI are having such problems that they no longer provide any new proprietary=
 drivers for their older cards -- it's causing headaches in the community, =
obviously.
>    When I try the XLIB... export, Mathematica shows many "holes" in t=
he Plot3D graphs, and the rotations are much slower and jerkier than usual.=
 I guess I'll just live with the state of things as they are now, until Mat=
hematica learns to work with the drivers, or the driver writers can agree o=
n a unified front (ha!).