Re: Problems with V7

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg100281] Re: Problems with V7
  • From: Bob F <deepyogurt at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 06:32:27 -0400 (EDT)

On May 29, 6:58 pm, Sergio Miguel Terrazas Porras <sterr... at uacj.mx>
wrote:
> Hi group!
>
> I installed the in home use Mathematica 7 and have used it for a while. S=
uddenly, the other day I started it and immediately noticed somethind was w=
rong, because the fonts used in an input cell looked strange.

> Furthermore, it does not evaluate the input cells. I tried to start the l=
ocal kernel manualy, to no avail.
> Has anybody else experienced this?
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sergio Terrazas

What OS version is this? Make a spare copy of your init.m file
($UserBaseDirectory/Library/Mathematica/FrontEnd/init.m) and try to
restart Mathematica in a clean restart mode (init.m gets erased when
started in this mode). On Mac's you hold down the Shift-Option when
starting and on Windows you hold down the Shift-Control while
restarting. If you get it to start correctly would suspect a corrupted
init.m file, so if that appears to be the case you might try and take
a look at the saved init.m file you made beforehand and see if you can
spot any problems.

Good Luck ...

-Bob

ps -  when reporting strange errors I think it is always a good idea
to say in a post the OS version as well as the exact Mathematica
version and any other important information.