Re: Problem with Screen Environment

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104507] Re: Problem with Screen Environment
  • From: Helen Read <hpr at together.net>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 17:58:53 -0500 (EST)

Helen Read wrote:
> I have a user in my department who has had a bizarre problem with
> Mathematica over the last few weeks (running 7.0.1 on Windows XP). He
> will have Mathematica open and all is well, then leave to go to class or
> whatever. Sometimes when he returns, Input cells are missing from the
> Format->Style menu (other cell types are there). Pre-existing Input
> cells in existing notebooks are not recognized as such (despite
> appearing to be an Input cell if you open with Shift-Ctrl-E) and nothing
> evaluates. It does not seem possible to insert new input cells in either
> existing notebooks or a new notebook. We also discovered that the Screen
> Environment is set to Slideshow when this problem happens, and all of
> the other options (Working, etc.) are missing from the Format->Screen
> Environment menu.
>
> We have tried replacing the init.m files, etc., which did not help any.
> Uninstalling and reinstalling Mathematica fixes the problem, but only
> temporarily. We have uninstalled and resinstalled several times, but the
> problem continues to recur. Today we uninstalled (again), and then
> deleted all of the Mathematica folders (from the user's profile, the All
> Users profile, and from Program Files), rebooted for good measure, then
> reinstalled Mathematica, and *still* the problem returned.
>
> We don't know of anything that would be peculiar to this particular user
> that would be causing this.
>
> We have contacted Wolfram Tech Support (and await a reply), but
> meanwhile, has anyone else seen this or have any idea what might be
> causing it?

We actually got a reply from Tech Support over the weekend, but
unfortunately it didn't help any. Their only suggestion was to reset the
init.m files, which we had already tried, before resorting to
uninstalling and removing all Mathematica folders completely -- and even
that didn't help.

If anyone has any insight, it would be much appreciated.

--
Helen Read
Mathematics & Statistics