Re: what's wrong with these expressions?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104640] Re: what's wrong with these expressions?
  • From: dushan <dushanm at spinn.net>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 03:52:38 -0500 (EST)

On Nov 4, 12:19 am, dushan <dush... at spinn.net> wrote:
> To check the result I asked to display the inner product
>     Subscript[nn,p][z].Subscript[n,p][z]
> and got the error message 'Recursion depth 256 exceeded'.
>
>   <SNIP>
> What could possibly be changing that sometimes, but not always,
> produces the error messages in these two cases?  I'm at a loss to know
> what to watch out for.

Oops!

For this last problem I finally found the cause: I had inadvertently used
the same symbol for two different definitions, one of which used the
other definition.  This of course would produce the recursivity that trip-
ped me up.  Strange how my mind could compartmentalize separate defini-
tions without noticing they had the same label!

- Dushan