Monitoring using Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104668] Monitoring using Mathematica
  • From: Harrie Kraai <hakraai at xs4all.nl>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 05:17:29 -0500 (EST)

Hi there,

I would like to write monitoring applications in Mathematica using
Dynamic(Module) and Refresh, etc. An example is monitoring an RSS feed.
I would like the interface to stay responsive, hence a simple Module
with an infinite loop or something would not work.

The "problem" with Dynamic constructs is that they are too "smart". They
  stop updating when they are not visible anymore. Of course in
many/most cases that is a great feature. But not for monitoring. I would
like the monitoring application to attract my attention while I am
working on something else.

The following graphic can be used for one hour to check whether the
updating continues or not:

panel = Table[Blue, {60}, {60}];
Dynamic[Refresh[dl = DateList[];
   panel[[dl[[-2]] + 1, (dl[[-1]] // Floor) + 1]] = Red;
   ArrayPlot@panel, UpdateInterval -> 0.5, TrackedSymbols -> {}]]

Scrolling the panel out of sight for a couple of seconds yields gaps in
the Red trail.

It would be very useful if I could force the Dynamic to keep on updating.
Anyone an idea how to do this? (An option in Dynamic would be very
helpful of course).

HK