Re: easy way to represent polynomials (v 7.0)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104674] Re: easy way to represent polynomials (v 7.0)
  • From: Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbitch at iee.lu>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 06:42:56 -0500 (EST)

Hi, Kris,
this may be what you need:

eq = x/(1 + y) + y/x - 1 == 0

 -1 + y/x + x/(1 + y) == 0

 Numerator@Together[eq[[1]]] == eq[[2]]

 -x + x^2 + y - x y + y^2 == 0

or you have in mind some further transformation?

Have success, Alexei

Hi,

is there a way to get a "proper" polynomial representation of results
that Mathematica gives?

Here is a "cooked up" example (my actual results in Mathematica a
fairly complicated expressions):

Suppose the result is:

x/(1 + y) + y/x - 1 = 0

I'm looking for something that gives me:

x^2 - x + y^2 = 0

Thanks in advance
Kris

--
Alexei Boulbitch, Dr., habil.
Senior Scientist

IEE S.A.
ZAE Weiergewan
11, rue Edmond Reuter
L-5326 Contern
Luxembourg

Phone: +352 2454 2566
Fax:   +352 2454 3566

Website: www.iee.lu

This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed or otherwise confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this e-mail in error, you are hereby notified that any review, copying or distribution of it is strictly prohibited. Please inform us immediately and destroy the original transmittal from your system. Thank you for your co-operation.