Re: easy way to represent polynomials (v 7.0)

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg104674] Re: easy way to represent polynomials (v 7.0)
  • From: Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbitch at>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 06:42:56 -0500 (EST)

Hi, Kris,
this may be what you need:

eq = x/(1 + y) + y/x - 1 == 0

 -1 + y/x + x/(1 + y) == 0

 Numerator@Together[eq[[1]]] == eq[[2]]

 -x + x^2 + y - x y + y^2 == 0

or you have in mind some further transformation?

Have success, Alexei

is there a way to get a "proper" polynomial representation of results
that Mathematica gives?

Here is a "cooked up" example (my actual results in Mathematica a
fairly complicated expressions):

Suppose the result is:

x/(1 + y) + y/x - 1 = 0

I'm looking for something that gives me:

x^2 - x + y^2 = 0

Thanks in advance

Alexei Boulbitch, Dr., habil.
Senior Scientist

ZAE Weiergewan
11, rue Edmond Reuter
L-5326 Contern

Phone: +352 2454 2566
Fax:   +352 2454 3566

This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed or otherwise confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this e-mail in error, you are hereby notified that any review, copying or distribution of it is strictly prohibited. Please inform us immediately and destroy the original transmittal from your system. Thank you for your co-operation.