Re: How to make floating control elements?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104679] Re: [mg104671] How to make floating control elements?
  • From: István Zachar <replicatorzed at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 06:44:07 -0500 (EST)

Thanks for the fast reply, here are the details.

What I want to construct is a simple control to increase/decrease a
numerical variable,
one that looks like the compact controls e.g. in Corel Photopaint. It's
hard to describe,
so here is the code I created so far (only the relevant core of my
function):

{x, d, pushed} = {1, 1, False};

Deploy@Dynamic@Grid[{
    If[pushed, #, Take[#, 2]] &[
     {InputField[Dynamic@x, FieldSize -> {3, 1}],
      Column[{
        Button[
         Graphics[Polygon[{{1, 0}, {0, .6}, {-1, 0}}]], (x = x + d),
         ImageSize -> {17, 7}, Appearance -> "Palette"],
        EventHandler[
         Button[Graphics[Line[{{-50, 0}, {50, 0}}]], (False),
          ImageSize -> {17, 3},
          Appearance -> {"Palette", If[pushed, "Pressed", "Normal"]}],
         {"MouseDown" :> (on = True; diff = Last@MousePosition[];
            pushed = True; def = x),
          "MouseDragged" :> (x = def - (Last@MousePosition[] - diff)),
          "MouseUp" :> (on = False; pushed = False)}
         ],
        Button[
         Graphics[Polygon[{{1, 0}, {0, -.6}, {-1, 0}}]], (x = x - d),
         ImageSize -> {17, 7}, Appearance -> "Palette"]
        }, Spacings -> -.3],
      Panel[
       VerticalSlider[x, {Min[x, def - 100], Max[x, def + 100]},
        Appearance -> Tiny, ImageSize -> {10, 80}], FrameMargins -> 0]
      }]
    }, Alignment -> {Left, Top}, Spacings -> 0]

Basically it has a step-down and a step-up button, and a button in
between them, that acts like a slider to allow
fast changes. Athough the visual feedback is only there (i.e. the real
slider only appears) if the button is pushed
and the mouse is dragged. Since I use this control a lot in a dense
interface, it is not possible for the slider to appear
after/below the control buttons, as it would shift every other control
around, and also the mouse looses focus if the
mid-button moves a bit, which messes up the release-event (just try to
replace the last Alignment -> {Left, Top} with {Left, Center}).

I've also tried to create a Tooltip window to appear immediately only if
the mid-button is down, but the problem is that
if I drag the mouse out of the control area (the whole
InputField+ButtonBar set), the tooltip is gone.
I don't really want to have an extra window, as you suggested it. It
seems a bit unnecessary and perhaps would
have side-effects according to Windows...

Can it be solved elegantly, or I do have to rely on PopupWindow?

Istvan