Re: How to make floating control elements?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104701] Re: [mg104671] How to make floating control elements?
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 06:48:31 -0500 (EST)

You seem to be asking, what are the component parts of PopupMenu/PopupView, and
how can you access the floating window component.  In Mathematica, PopupMenu
(or, more technically, the PopupMenuBox, as PopupMenus are represented in the
front end) is the most atomic part you can get to.  PopupView is a thin layer
wrapping PopupMenu.

You don't explain what you're trying to do, and it's difficult for me to comment
on alternative methods that might be available to you.  I will say that you
really can do quite a lot with PopupMenu and its close cousin, ActionMenu.

Alternatively, you could create a button which pops up a frameless notebook
window.  This would be sort of an extended version of how PopupWindow is
implemented.  You'd probably find that you'll eventually run into some
limitation where you can't do exactly what you want to do, but maybe not.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group