Re: Re: Set::setps error? Twitter.m's OOP-like approach?

Erik Max Francis wrote:
> Daniel Lichtblau wrote:
>> Erik Max Francis wrote:
>>> I was experimenting with vaguely OOP-like wrappers around data similar
>>> to how Twitter.m does things:
>>>
>>> 	http://blog.wolfram.com/2009/04/30/twittering-with-mathematica/
>>>
>>> I was experimenting with "mutable objects" and I'm running into a
>>> scoping problem of some type that I don't understand.  Here's some
>>> sample code creating a wrapper around an "account balance":
>>> [...hope I'm not snipping too much...]
>
> Okay.  I see that since Mathematica is far more functional a language
> than other languages that I've used and so what I was trying to do there
> was quite alien -- sufficiently so that I really shouldn't try.  (In
> this particular case, I was just taking a rather typical OOP example and
> playing with it in Python, it wasn't central to my question below ...)

I'm not sure why this seems alien. People use such constructs in
Mathematica quite often.

> [...]
> Well, when I boil down when I'm talking about here it's not so much OOP
> per se but rather opaque types, giving the ability to pack lots of stuff
> in an object, hide it with a nice face by using Format[..., Standard] :=
> ...., and then define a bunch of functions that take it at the first
> argument and manipulate it.
>
> The context I mentioned above is a tensor library where you don't really
> want to see the components of the tensor unless you specifically ask for
> it -- a 4-dimensional Riemann tensor, after all, has 4^4 components --
> but instead you just want to specify a set of coordinates, a metric
> using those coordinates, and then go to town creating and manipulating
> those tensors, then crank out specific calculations based on them.
>
> Does that make more sense as being something reasonably Mathematica-ish,
> using that approach for type opaqueness?

Yes. I see no reason not to do that in Mathematica. I won't say it is
common, but people do use Mathematica in the way you describe. Often it
is for similar reasons: hide the mess, expose the functionality (that
may not be an entirely accurate paraphrasing of what you describe, but I
think it is not too far from the mark).

Daniel Lichtblau
Wolfram Research