Re: Error when working with a derivative

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104957] Re: [mg104947] Error when working with a derivative
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 05:54:30 -0500 (EST)

In some form or another, you need to use a replacement rule for the
variables after you find the derivative. Here's one way (where I've
simplified the function and variable names):

   f[x_, y_] := x^2 + y^2 + x y + x + y
   Df1[x_, y_][a_, b_] := D[f[x, y], x] /. Thread[{x, y} :> {a, b}]

   Df1[x, y][x, y]
1 + 2 x + y
   Df1[x, y][1, 2]
5

Of course you can do the same thing with the second variable (but you
function here is symmetric in its variables!).

Another, nicer, way uses the function Derivative and pure functions:

   Clear[Df1]
   f[x_, y_] := x^2 + y^2 + x y + x + y
   Df1 = Derivative[1, 0][f]
1 + 2 #1 + #2 &

   Df1[x, y]
1 + 2 x + y
   Df1[a, b]
1 + 2 a + b
   Df1[1, 2]
5

This second way is closer to what you can do with the ' (prime)
abbreviation for derivative of a function of a single variable:

   g[x_] := x^2 + x
   g'[x]
1 + 2 x
   g'[2]