Re: Fyi, Listing of Mathematica 7 functions (1869 functions)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104955] Re: Fyi, Listing of Mathematica 7 functions (1869 functions)
  • From: "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 05:54:06 -0500 (EST)

ref (me)

> I obtain 1869 functions.
>
> Since what I find is somewhat less what it is supposed to be (close to
> 2,500) according to WRI blog

I think I know why I get less number.

I am only looking at the System Context functions. There are other packages
that come with Mathematica which I am not counting when looking at the
System context and the blog above must have done that.

Packages such as VectorAnalysis, Quaternions Package, Developer,
Experimental, JLink, GraphEdit and more which have to be loaded. I suspect
that the total shown in Wolfram blog must have counted all those functions
as well. This must have added another 600 functions or so.

If I know exactly the list of packages, I could add them and run the same
process I did for the System Context to obtain the complete list.

ps. I found the file Usage.m sitting in Mathematica 7 installation folder,

C:\Program Files\Wolfram
Research\Mathematica\7.0\SystemFiles\Kernel\TextResources\English\Usage.m

which actually contain Usage messages although it seems some of those
messages are not just for System functions, so I did not use this file.(When
I parsed it for Functions[], I get different total than with the current
method I am using).

--Nasser