Re: Preserve notebook's $ContextPath between sessions / store custom

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg104996] Re: [mg104967] Preserve notebook's $ContextPath between sessions / store custom
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 05:14:17 -0500 (EST)

Using the "Other..." context mechanism precisely solves the problem you asked
about in your original email (i.e., close a notebook, re-open it...presumably in
the same session...and get $ContextPath preserved).  Your response adds several
other requests which, if implemented, would leave the system considerably more
customizable, but considerably less general and easy to use.  It would also tie
our hands in certain ways.  For example, the help viewer uses contextual
localization (but at the cell group level, rather than the notebook level), and
I don't think it's generally desirable to have two help viewer windows which
happen to be pointing to the same page (i.e. having loaded the same notebook
file) share a context.

I'm not sure why you couldn't just solve your problems by adding the explicit
code you want in initialization cells.  They'll evaluate first every single time
you open (or close, then re-open) the notebook, and it allows you total
flexibility in configuring things however you want to configure them.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group