How to instruct Math to take a certain (e.g. real) type of results

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg105018] How to instruct Math to take a certain (e.g. real) type of results
  • From: Alexei Boulbitch <Alexei.Boulbitch at>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 06:57:41 -0500 (EST)

Dear Community,

I came to a problem, that I cannot check the solution y=0 of equation

In[345]:= eq = (-8 + y)^(1/3) + (8 + y)^(1/3) == y^(1/3);
eq /. y -> 0

Out[346]= False

just because the expression

In[347]:= eq[[1]] /. y -> 0

Out[347]= 2 + 2 (-1)^(1/3)

Mathematica does not interpret as zero. And if I ask it to give a
numerical answer
In[348]:= 2 + 2 (-1.)^(1/3)

Out[348]= 3.+ 1.73205 \[ImaginaryI]
It returns the complex root out of the three possible.

My question is the following:

1) How should I instruct Mathematica to take a certain  root that I want
of say, (-1)^(1/3)?

2) I think there is a general possibility instruct Mathematica that all
calculations should be done on reals only. Is it right?

Thank you, Alexei

Alexei Boulbitch, Dr., habil.
Senior Scientist

ZAE Weiergewan
11, rue Edmond Reuter
L-5326 Contern

Phone: +352 2454 2566
Fax:   +352 2454 3566

This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed or otherwise confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this e-mail in error, you are hereby notified that any review, copying or distribution of it is strictly prohibited. Please inform us immediately and destroy the original transmittal from your system. Thank you for your co-operation.