Re: Re: Fyi, Listing of Mathematica 7

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg105033] Re: [mg105005] Re: [mg104952] Fyi, Listing of Mathematica 7
  • From: Bob Hanlon <hanlonr at>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 07:00:31 -0500 (EST)

This would have to be defined inside the package for each function. Presumably something like this:

f[x_] := x^2

f /: SyntaxInformation[f] =
  {ArgumentsPattern -> {_}};

?? f

Bob Hanlon

---- "Nasser M. Abbasi" <nma at> wrote:

ref (me)

> I did use SyntaxInformation[], which I did not know about, and it is much
> simpler.

Except I am finding that SyntaxInformation[] only works on functions in
System context. So I can't find it to determine which is a function and
which is not for functions in other packages (i.e. outside the kernel).

So I have to resort to the old method for determining which Symbol is a
function or not for those.

Compare the result for something not in the kernel with something outside:

{ArgumentsPattern -> {_}}

Even though AddEdge IS a function, I was expecting it to return the
ArgumentPattern-> ..... list, but it did not.

Is SyntaxInformation[] only supported for kernel functions? (i.e. in
System`) (may be because those packages do not have support for it added?)