Re: Mathematica 7.0 - Wrong Documentation on StudentTCI

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg105106] Re: [mg105094] Mathematica 7.0 - Wrong Documentation on StudentTCI
  • From: Darren Glosemeyer <darreng at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 03:33:36 -0500 (EST)

Lawrence Teo wrote:
> Hi all,

> error, rather than standard deviation as stated in the document. The
> document has an error.
>
> I just want to report an error in the documentation of StudentTCI
> function in Mathematica 7.0.
>
> The document for StudentTCI function reads
> StudentTCI[Mu,Sigma, df] gives a confidence interval {min, max} for
> the population mean based on the sample mean Mu and sample standard
> deviation Sigma.
> (refer to HypothesisTesting/ref/StudentTCI)
>
> The truth is StudentTCI function expects Standard Error in the second
> parameter, rather than a Standard Deviation.
>
> I was driven crazy by the funny behavior of StudentTCI function for
> hours. To make things worse, I didn't suspect it at all and were busy
> looking for other mistakes in a rather complex code. I found it in
> HypothesisTesting/tutorial/HypothesisTesting. The documentation is
> slightly different and clearly points out the second parameter is a
> standard error. It was a great relief to me after knowing this
> document mistake.
>
> Hope it helps the rest of the Mathematica users.

Thanks for pointing this out so we can fix it. As a general rule, bugs
should be reported to our Technical Support department at
support at wolfram.com to make sure it goes through the proper channels and
gets addressed. In this case, I have taken care of it so there is no
need for a message to tech support if one has not already been sent.

Darren Glosemeyer
Wolfram Research