Re: Not all points plot on my graph...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg105222] Re: Not all points plot on my graph...
  • From: Helen Read <hpr at together.net>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 02:29:59 -0500 (EST)

Tomas Garza wrote:

> BTW, I would use SetDelayed (:=) instead of Set (=) in the definition of f.
>>
>> f[x_] = (x + 2)^(2/3)

That's a matter of taste, I think. I have for many years taught my
students to use Set when defining garden variety functions. An advantage
of this is that the function is immediately evaluated and you get
output, which allows students to catch many errors. For example, suppose
they left off the parentheses in the function quoted above, and entered
(x+2)^2/3 . They will immediately see their mistake if they pay the
slightest attention to the output, and can fix it immediately. Using
SetDelayed, it's the rare student who will figure out that they entered
the function incorrectly. This year I have noticed more of this type of
error, because the students learned to define functions by using the
Define Function button on the Classroom Assistant palette, which uses
SetDelayed, and most of them have continued to use SetDelayed after they
stopped relying on the palette. (I have showed the students that can
check the definition of their function by typing in f[x] and evaluating,
but nobody seems to think of it even when it is clear that something
isn't right.)

There are of course times when we need SetDelayed, and we discuss it in
class when it comes up.

--
Helen Read
University of Vermont