Re: Color depth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg105231] Re: [mg105150] Color depth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • From: Patrick Scheibe <pscheibe at trm.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 02:31:41 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

assume the following graphic in Mathematica

With[{n = 4^2},
  ArrayFlatten[
   Partition[
    Table[{x, y, z}, {z, 0, 1, 1/(n - 1)}, {y, 0, 1, 1/(n - 1)}, {x,
      0, 1, 1/(n - 1)}], Sqrt[n]]]] //
 ArrayPlot[#, ColorFunction -> RGBColor] &

when you check the values for the colors in this image you'll see that
every pixel has different rgb-values. This means if you put n=16^2 you
would have 256x256x256 colors in the image which is exactly what
"millions of colors" is supposed to be.
Since the table creates rational expressions for the {r,g,b} colors you
could easily (with the restriction that an image of that size would take
too long to render in Mathematica) create more colors by setting higher
values to n.

But what does this mean? Are there really that many visible colors on
your screen? What happens if you export the image?
This depends many things, e.g. on your os-settings.

So if you really want to know more, you have to tell more about what you
try to achieve and which things are not working for you.

Cheers
Patrick