Re: Delay Differential Equations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg105227] Re: [mg105198] Delay Differential Equations
  • From: Yun Zhao <yun.m.zhao at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 02:30:55 -0500 (EST)

Hi Daniel,

  Thanks for your reply.  But my question is I was trying to solve an
equation, and the solution just doesnt make much sense, and I looked in the
help files, but they didn't really help me much.  The problem is this:

I have some cells of type A, and at some point in time, cells of type A are
going to slowly change into cells of type B.  So, population size of cell
type A will decrease over time due to two factors: (1) becoming cells of
type B and (2) dying over time.  So for a differential equation, i have two
rates, one is the transformation rate (0.0367), one is the death rate
(0.0123).  But I want to delay the transformation by 37 hours.  So from time
= 0 to time = 37, all that is changing in cells of type A is that they are
dying at the death rate, then after 37 hours, they are also disappearing at
the transformation rate.

So my differential equation is like this:

*solrandom1=NDSolve[{p'[t]**==0.0367*p[t-37]-0.0123*p[t],p[t/;t<0] 30000},p,{t,0,120}]*

What I expect when I plot p(t) over t is a gradual decrease from t=0 to
t=37.  Then more decrease from t=37 to t=120.  p(t) should never be less
than zero.  But when I ran that code in Mathematica, and plotted it using
this command

*Plot[Evaluate[p[t]/.solrandom1],{t,0,120},PlotRange**=EF=82=AEAutomatic]*

p(t) was actually less than zero.  I am not able to figure out why this is.

Please tell me what I did wrong.  Thanks.