countour plot (in 3D)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg105308] countour plot (in 3D)
  • From: Claus <clausenator at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 06:29:14 -0500 (EST)

Hi,
I have a set of 720 measurements at locations (x,y,z), each associated
with a value (f).

The y is constant for all locations. So I can generate a ListContourPlot
quite easily and nicely.

Now I want to show the contour in 3D. This means essentially I want to
show a contoured plane in 3D. I want to do this in 3D because I want to
add other sets of measurements which are at different (x,y,z) locations
(other planes), subsequently.

How can this be done?

I tried ListContourPlot3D, however it tells me this (which I don't
understand):

ListContourPlot3D::invpts: "\!\(\*
StyleBox[\"\"\", \"MT\"]\)-- Message text not found --

Can anybody tell what this message means (or what I am doing wrong)?

What excatly can I adjust with the option Contours? The help says "how
many or what contour surfaces to show". Does that mean, for my first try
with the one set of 720 measurements I would put Contours->{1}?

Thank you,
Claus