Re: countour plot (in 3D)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg105340] Re: [mg105308] countour plot (in 3D)
  • From: "David Park" <djmpark at comcast.net>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 01:08:39 -0500 (EST)

This is easy with the Presentations package. Since you didn't give us sample
data, here is an example for a regular contour plot with several colored
spheres added to flesh out a true 3D plot. The operative function is
RaiseTo3D. It also calculates and includes the VertexNormals so the color
shading will be smooth. (In this case the contour plot was placed at the
z==0 level, but it could have been placed at any z value. The contour plot
could also have been raised to a curved surface.)

Needs["Presentations`Master`"]

Draw3DItems[
 {(* Draw the contour plot in 2D and raise it to 3D *)
  Opacity[.7],
  ContourDraw[Sin[x] + Sin[y], {x, -5, 5}, {y, -5, 5},
    ColorFunction -> ColorData["StarryNightColors"]] // RaiseTo3D[0 &],
  (* Add two colored spheres *)
  Opacity[1],
  Yellow, Sphere[{\[Pi]/2, \[Pi]/2, 1}, 1],
  Darker[Blue], Sphere[-{\[Pi]/2, \[Pi]/2, 1}, 1]},
 NeutralLighting[0, .5, .1],
 NiceRotation,
 ImageSize -> 400]

David Park
djmpark at comcast.net
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

From: Claus [mailto:clausenator at gmail.com]

Hi,
I have a set of 720 measurements at locations (x,y,z), each associated
with a value (f).

The y is constant for all locations. So I can generate a ListContourPlot
quite easily and nicely.

Now I want to show the contour in 3D. This means essentially I want to
show a contoured plane in 3D. I want to do this in 3D because I want to
add other sets of measurements which are at different (x,y,z) locations
(other planes), subsequently.

How can this be done?

I tried ListContourPlot3D, however it tells me this (which I don't
understand):

ListContourPlot3D::invpts: "\!\(\*
StyleBox[\"\"\", \"MT\"]\)-- Message text not found --

Can anybody tell what this message means (or what I am doing wrong)?

What excatly can I adjust with the option Contours? The help says "how
many or what contour surfaces to show". Does that mean, for my first try
with the one set of 720 measurements I would put Contours->{1}?

Thank you,
Claus